Saturday 9 June 2012

New Rules of Lifting for Women

This is the new programme I am doing to try to loose some fat and increase my muscle. I am really keen to get into lifting weights and this book has been recommended by lots of people as a great way to start. The programme basically sets out workouts and eating plans/recipes to follow. I am trying to keep the eating side as simple as possible and, after researching what established weightlifting women's diets look like (See Jen Comas Keck's blog), I have decided to do as follows:
  • 5 or 6 meals per day
  • Each meal to include: Protein, fat, vegetables.
  • More complex carbs on workout days but only in the morning (I may just add in porridge for breakfast on workout days)
My eating hasn't been as consistent but as weigh in is a week tomorrow, I am really trying to buckle down this week!

On the workout side of things, I am really eonjoying it and am definitely starting to get stronger. This is how I have improved so far:
Squats - I started these using 15kg and have increased this to 30kg. I am working out later today and plan to give 40kg a go! Wish me luck!
Deadlift - I started deadlifts using 15kg and have recently moved up to 40kg.
Push-ups - When I started I was only able to do 5 full push-ups off the floor and now I can manage all 15!
On the negative side, I really wish I was doing this with someone else. I want to take this really seriously (like you would do any sport that you start e.g playing hockey) but it is really hard when you are doing it at home and on your own. As the local gym is rubbish I am doing it at home in my home made gym:
However, Mel came round last night and has said that she is quite keen to start doing this too which is great news! I am not sure yet how committed she will be but at least she is showing an interest and she is planning on coming round on sundays and wednesday to have a work out with me!!

My ambition is not to be skinny but to be strong and healthy. I have a couple of pictures that are really inspiring me:

No comments:

Post a Comment